- About Us
Free TAX-AIDE service starts Feb. 1
IRS-certified AARP TAX-AIDE volunteers will be available again this year to prepare and electronically file tax returns at several sites in the Sequim area.
The service is free of charge.
Although the TAX-AIDE program is sponsored by the IRS and the AARP Foundation, participants do not have to be AARP members and the service is available to taxpayers of all ages. An appointment is required at most sites.
The AARP TAX-AIDE volunteers are authorized to prepare most basic tax returns for low- and moderate-income taxpayers, making sure that the taxpayer receives all the eligible deductions and credits. They do not prepare returns for taxpayers who have income from rental properties or for taxpayers with complicated business returns.
What to bring:
Taxpayers should bring the following with them to the TAX-AIDE site:
• Photo ID
• Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
• W-2 from each employer
• All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, SSA-1099, 1099-G, etc.) — these include interest, dividend, stock sale, cancellation of debt, retirement, self-employment, Social Security and unemployment compensation
• Copy of 2010 tax return
• Bank account routing and account numbers, if direct deposit of the refund is desired
• Any other documents necessary to complete the return, for example, receipts for energy-efficient home improvements, cost of stock sold, tuition statements and receipts necessary to itemize deductions, if applicable.
Where to go:
There are several TAX-AIDE sites in the Sequim area:
• Sequim Senior Activity Center. By appointment 12:30-4 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays. Call 683-6806 for an appointment.
• Port Angeles Library. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays and 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturdays. First-come, first-served. No appointment required.
• Port Angeles Senior Center. By appointment 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays. Call 457-7004 for an appointment.
For more information, call Carol Volk, AARP TAX-AIDE communications coordinator, at 360-928-9509.