- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Sequim Library helps patrons 'Experience Technology'
• Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2-8 p.m.: "Experience New Ways to Play!" features Playaway Views, Nooks and Playaways. Playaways are self-contained, easy-to-use audio books. Playaway Views are video media players preloaded with movies based on picture books for children. Nooks are among the most popular e-reader devices. The ones you can check out from the library are preloaded with an assortment of titles.
• Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2-8 p.m.: "Climb Your Family Tree" highlights Ancestry.com, a new online genealogy research database accessible anywhere you have Internet access as well as in the library — all you need is your library card. A basic genealogy presentation by Renee Mizar is at 6 p.m. the same evening, also at the Sequim Library.
• Thursday, Oct. 18, 2-8p.m.: "Experience E-books for Kids!" features Tumblebooks. TumbleBooks is an online resource, available at the library and from anywhere you have Internet access and your library card, where you can find excellent children’s e-picture books in both English and Spanish. Words are highlighted in the text as a narrator reads the story. Tumblebooks can be viewed on any computer or iPad with an Internet connection.
• Thursday, Oct. 25, 2-8 p.m.: "Experience Downloadables" will introduce you to One-Click Digital and Overdrive. One-Click Digital makes audio books easier to download and it expands the library’s collection by several thousand titles. Produced by audiobook publisher Recorded Books, One-Click Digital lets you check out audio books, simply and directly, to your iPhone, iPad, or MP3 player.
• Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2-8 p.m.: "Experience a New Culture" features Mango Languages, the library’s newest language-learning database. Use Mango in the library and anywhere you have Internet access. Mango offers a wide variety of introductory language courses, including Mandarin, Spanish, Farsi and one playful choice: “Pirate.” Since this event coincides with Halloween, the staff will take advantage of the holiday to dress the part and celebrate “Speak Pirate Day.”
The starter collection of Playaway Views was jointly funded by the Forks, Clallam Bay, Port Angeles and Sequim Friends of the Library. Funding for the Mango Speak Pirate Day celebration has been provided by the Friends of the Sequim Library.
These hands-on demonstrations are free, appropriate for all ages, and require no preregistration. For more information about this and other library programs and events, go to www.nols.org, and click on “Events” or contact the library at Sequim@nols.org or 683-1161.