IRS-certified AARP TAX-AIDE volunteers will be available again this year to prepare and electronically file tax returns at several sites in the Sequim area.
The service is free of charge.
TAX-AIDE volunteers will be available starting on Feb. 1 and throughout the tax season—which extends until April 17 this year.
Although the TAX-AIDE program is sponsored by the IRS and the AARP Foundation, participants do not have to be AARP members and the service is available to taxpayers of all ages. An appointment is required at most sites.
The AARP TAX-AIDE volunteers are IRS-certified to prepare most basic tax returns for low- and moderate-income taxpayers, making sure that the taxpayer receives all the eligible deductions and credits. They do not prepare returns for taxpayers who have income from rental properties or for taxpayers with complicated business returns.
What to bring
Taxpayers should bring the following with them to the TAX-AIDE site:
• Photo ID
• Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
• Copy of 2016 tax return
• W-2 from each employer
• All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, SSA-1099, 1099-G, etc.) — these include interest, dividend, stock sale, cancellation of debt, retirement, self-employment, Social Security and unemployment compensation
• Documentation of health insurance coverage for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents (bring Form 1095, if received)
• Bank account routing and account numbers, if direct deposit of the refund is desired
• Any other documents necessary to complete the return, for example, receipts for energy-efficient home improvements, cost of stock sold, tuition statements and receipts necessary to itemize deductions, if applicable.
Where to go
There are several TAX-AIDE sites in the Sequim/Port Angeles area:
• Shipley Center, 921 E. Hammond St., 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesdays and Saturdays. First-come, first-served; no appointment required.
• Port Angeles Library, 221 S. Peabody St., 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesdays and 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays. First-come, first-served; no appointment required.
• Port Angeles Senior Center, by appointment, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays. Call 360-457-7004 for an appointment.