Donation account set up for fire victims

A donation account is set up at Sound Community Bank, 541 N. Fifth Ave., for Yvonne Sayer and her two children, who lost everything in Thursday afternoon's house fire at 709 E. Fir St.

Clothing and other items can be donated at the Seventh-day Adventist Church, 30 Sanford Lane in

Sequim, and First United Methodist & Congregationalist Church, 110 E. Seventh St. in Port Angeles.

"My phone has been ringing all the time and people have offered help. Yvonne is in tears because everyone is so gracious," said her mother, Stephanie Sayer of Blyn, on Friday.

"They have nothing not even a toothbrush. She had just paid her rent so she is out of money."

Red Cross helping

Yvonne had an appointment Friday with Red Cross representatives about getting vouchers for housing and other necessities as well as getting her son Ayden's asthma medications replaced, Stephanie said.

Yvonne is staying with Stephanie and her husband, Wayne, in Blyn.

The fire destroyed the 1,300-square-foot home built in 1971. Clallam County Fire District 3 Chief Steve Vogel said Friday the fire's cause remains under investigation.

Yvonne, 27, had lived there as a renter since July with her 9-year-old daughter Haylee and 5-year-old Ayden.

She was not hurt and her children were in school when the fire broke out. But their orange-and-white-striped cat, Buddy, and two birds

died in the fire.

Dog still missing

Their terrier, Oscar, remains missing. Stephanie said a delivery driver tried to help her daughter coax the dog out of a hiding place in the house and never saw him come out.

Her daughter was very appreciative of the people who tried to help save her dog, Stephanie said.

The fire was Yvonne's second tragedy within a year, she said.

Yvonne's fiance and father of her two children, Travis Klink, died in March.

"He was the sole provider. They were just learning to cope and learning to live on their own. She had taken time off work to heal the wounds from his death," Stephanie said.

Yvonne had worked at the Shell station in Carlsborg for a couple of years. She was planning to return to work there after taking time off following Travis' death.

"Her boss texted her about returning to work and she said her house was burning down," Stephanie said.

Reach Brian Gawley at

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates