News

Lost Mountain home a total loss after Sunday fire

 -
— image credit:
A 13,000-square-foot house off Lost Mountain Road was a total loss after a car fire spread to the building early Sunday morning.

Crews from Clallam County Fire Districts 2 and 3 fought the blaze from around 5:30 a.m.-6 p.m. and some returned to the site Monday morning for further investigation, District 3 Lt. Bob Rhoads said.

Rhoads said a car fire in the carport, possibly caused by faulty wiring, caused the home of Carole Hauskins to catch on fire.

Hauskins was the only occupant of the house and escaped without injury, he said.

The home was on Graywolf Ridge Road in a gated community.

The first engine on the scene, from the Carlsborg station, reported the building was 25-percent involved in the fire. It was joined by three engines, a medic unit, ladder truck, two assistant chiefs and two water tenders. A rescue unit from Clallam County Fire District 3, two water tenders from Clallam County Fire District 2 and an electrical crew from P.U.D. to disconnect electrical power also responded to the scene, Rhoads said.

When enough personnel were on the scene, a hole was cut in the roof for vertical ventilation and fire control, he said.

Despite their best efforts, the house was a total loss and the only thing saved was a garage, he said.

The house was built in 1999 by Carole Hauskins and her late husband William Hauskins.

Amanda Winters can be reached at awinters@sequimgazette.com.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.