News

Sequim man charged in Port Angeles stabbing

A 30-year-old Sequim man will stand trial for first-degree assault with a deadly weapon in connection with an early-morning stabbing Saturday, Sept. 4, at R Bar in Port Angeles.

David Harris, whose last-known address was on the 400 block of West Hemlock Street in Sequim, is accused of stabbing Ernesto Sanches Andalob with a knife, causing Andalob to suffer a collapsed lung, according to the Port Angeles Police Department.

Harris pleaded not guilty to the charge at his Sept. 10 arraignment in Clallam County Superior Court. A trial is set for Nov. 1 to last five to seven days.

Harris, aka "Gangsta Dave," was kicked out of the bar earlier in the night and allegedly threatened to return and "shoot the place up," Detective Ted Rife said in court documents.

At 1:41 a.m., medics and police were called to the bar in response to a stabbing and found a large amount of blood and a bloodied knife at the scene, Rife said.

Andalob told police he didn't know who stabbed him or why, before being transported to Harborview Medical Center for treatment of a collapsed lung, Rife said.

Police received information that led them to Harris' aunt's house in Sequim. She told police that Harris had called her and visited her house a few hours after the stabbing, Rife said.

She told police Harris had injuries to his face and claimed he'd been jumped and had to defend himself, Rife said. She took Rife's business card and said she'd have Harris call, he said.

Harris did call but the conversation was brief and he declined to go to the police station, Rife said.

A $250,000 bond felony warrant was issued for Harris by Clallam County Superior Court as police searched for him.

At 3:45 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 7, Harris turned himself in and was taken into custody at the Clallam County jail where he remains in lieu of $250,000 bail.

Clallam County Prosecutor Deb Kelly said Harris was charged with first-degree assault with a deadly weapon and not attempted murder as police suggested because the investigation is ongoing.

"I charged based on the information at the time, knowing we have the ability to change the charges based on if the information we get warrants the change," Kelly said.

Police have 15 interviews to conduct as well as medical records and other details to gather for the prosecutor's office, she said.



Reach Amanda Winters at awinters@sequim

gazette.com.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 23 edition online now. Browse the archives.