Man faces five charges after dramatic arrest

Sequim Gazette

A 22-year-old Port Angeles man did not go silently March 28 when police tried to arrest him for investigation of driving under the influence.


Washington State Patrol Trooper Grant Clark wrote a three-page DUI arrest report following the seven-hour ordeal during which he chased, wrestled and used a stun gun in an attempt to detain Nathan Wayne Terry on suspicion of driving under the influence.


Trooper Krista Hedstrom said at 11:36 p.m. Clark watched a car driven by Terry drift from one side of the lane to another on U.S. Highway 101 near Palo Alto Road, jerking the wheel and abruptly swerving several times. The vehicle’s speed ranged from 40 mph to 61 mph in a 55-mph zone and the driver suddenly would slam on the brakes, she said.


In his report, filed in Clallam County Superior Court, Clark said he activated his emergency lights and tried to pull over the car. The driver slowed down after about five seconds then sped into the Sequim Bay Lodge parking lot, he said.


The driver stopped the car and ran east, leaving the driver’s side door open. Clark chased the driver, identifying himself as a police officer and ordering the driver to stop.


Clark ran to the back parking lot and didn’t see the suspect until he turned around and saw the driver curled up, seated on his knees on top of a flower box with his side up against a wall, Clark said in his report. Clark shined his flashlight on the suspect, who cursed and began reaching into the waistline of his pants with his left hand. Clark, concerned the suspect was reaching for a weapon, ordered him to stop and displayed his stun gun. The suspect ignored Clark’s commands and continued resisting until Clark deployed the stun gun.


Clark found a cell phone in the suspect’s left hand after rolling him onto his right side. The subject began complaining of heart problems and appeared to be convulsing on the ground, Clark said. Medical aid and state patrol backup were called while Clark placed handcuffs on the suspect.


When searching the suspect, troopers found two needles, two plastic bags with a white substance and a bandana with a padlock tied to one end, he said.


The suspect identified himself as Devin Terry but later, while he was being booked at the Clallam County Jail, staff recognized him as Nathan Terry.


“Yeah, I gave you the wrong name, stack it on, I’m going back to prison anyway,” Clark quoted Terry as saying.


Terry convinced emergency medical personnel he had a serious heart condition and he was transported to Olympic Medical Center where a doctor determined he was young, healthy and did not have heart trouble, Clark said.


Clark told Terry he would be seeking a legal blood draw and the doctor requested a urine sample. After handing the specimen to a nurse, Terry re-entered the bathroom, Clark said.


A few seconds later he heard staff yell, “He’s running!”


Clark chased Terry as he ran out of the emergency room, through the lobby, out the front doors of the hospital and across Race Street. Terry fell after crossing the street and Clark jumped on top of him, pulling his arms behind his back and pressing his wrists toward his shoulder blades to put him at a muscular disadvantage, Clark said.


Terry continued to try to escape, rolling from side to side and yelling about police brutality, Clark said.

Lance Doyle, a nurse, arrived to assist and Terry was returned to the emergency room in handcuffs so staff could remove an IV from his arm. He was placed in restraints and booked into the Clallam County jail after he was cleared for incarceration.


Clark said the white substance found on Terry’s person did not field-test positive for narcotics.


Hedstrom said troopers have test kits in their patrol cars that test for such things as cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, etc., but do not test for drugs such as oxycodone, hydrocodone and other prescription narcotics that are regularly seen ground up.


“The substance will be sent to the lab for testing to determine what it is, and if it comes back to be an illegal substance or one that is legal by prescription and he is not prescribed to have, then appropriate charges will be forwarded to the prosecutor’s office,” she said.


Hedstrom said DUI arrests normally take three to four hours to process.


“This is time for the stop, arrest, waiting on tow truck, transport to jail, BAC process (breath test), booking and report writing,” she said. “This time can vary depending on whether or not other things are involved such as blood draws, medical aid, collision investigation and evidence processing.”


Terry was charged in Clallam County Superior Court March 31 with attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, obstructing a law enforcement officer, making false or misleading statements to a law enforcement officer, third-degree escape and resisting arrest.


He remains in custody at the Clallam County jail in lieu of $30,000 bond.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates