UPDATE: Second suspect re-arrested in hit and run, posts bail again

Sequim Gazette

Timothy Patrick Smith was arrested at 2:45 a.m. today by Clallam County Sheriff's Deputy Sgt. John Keegan and Port Angeles Police Officer David Arand. Smith was arrested out of a vehicle just west of the Port Angeles city limits, Port Angeles Police Sgt. Barb McFall said.


McFall said Smith was arrested on suspicion of possession of stolen property and possession of methamphetamine. He was booked into the Clallam County jail and released by 5 a.m. after posting bail. He has a 1 p.m. court hearing today in Clallam County Superior Court.


A man accused of intentionally ramming his car into a Subaru carrying four family members faces felony assault and hit-and-run charges after a four-day manhunt.


Police arrested Michael Joseph Moyle, 28, of Port Angeles, at 8:30 p.m. Sunday, April 17, after a widespread search following the car crash that sent four people to the hospital.


Police believe Moyle drove his car into the back of a Subaru carrying Stewart Baker, 24, Tawny Baker, 48, Aaron Baker, 5, and Lavender Baker, 2, on April 13. All were treated and released for minor to serious injuries. Aaron Baker spent several days at Harborview Medical Center with a broken hip and leg, Port Angeles Police Sgt. Barb McFall said.


A second suspect, Timothy Patrick Smith, 27, of Port Angeles, remains at large after posting bond on Friday and is sought by police.

Arrested Sunday

At 6:25 p.m. Sunday, Port Angeles police received a tip on the whereabouts of Moyle and coordinated an effort to surround the location. Officers from the Port Angeles Police Department, along with Port Angeles Fire Department personnel, Clallam County Sheriff’s deputies and officers from the Washington State Patrol surrounded the home in the 1000 block of Craig Avenue in Port Angeles and arrested Moyle without incident at 8:30 p.m.


He was booked into the Clallam County jail at 1 a.m. Monday, April 18, on investigation of first-degree assault, first-degree assault of a child and hit-and-run, along with two failure-to-pay-or-appear warrants. At his first appearance in Clallam County Superior Court, Judge S. Brooke Taylor set bail at $500,000, noting Moyle had an extensive criminal history and had appeared in court on other charges just an hour before the April 13 collision.

Incident details

Police said that around 11:20 a.m. April 13, for unknown reasons, Moyle, driving a black Ford Mustang, pursued a Subaru sedan driven by Stewart Baker from the Albertson’s parking lot to Laurel Street at Viewcrest Avenue.


McFall said witnesses saw the Mustang drive into the back of the Subaru at a high rate of speed, pushing the car about 150 feet into a telephone pole. The pole damaged the rear driver’s side of the Subaru, where 5-year-old Aaron Baker was sitting.


According to a probable cause document filed in court, Moyle drove his car about a block before it stopped running due to front-end damage. Witnesses saw Moyle walk back to the scene of the crash and leave without calling 9-1-1 or giving his identification or contact information to any of the victims, police said.


Smith arrived at the crash within moments and exited his car to ask Stewart Baker if he was OK. Baker told Smith it was a black Mustang that caused the collision, police said. Smith left without calling 9-1-1 or providing any assistance and drove Moyle from the scene of the crash in his pickup truck, police said.

A Port Angeles Police officer arriving at the scene saw Moyle and Smith driving away, not knowing they were involved in the incident, McFall said.


Later the truck was found abandoned up Old Mill Road and a search revealed a loaded handgun, which Smith, a convicted felon, is prohibited from possessing, McFall said.


Smith turned himself in to police Thursday and was charged with first-degree rendering criminal assistance and first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

Smith released on bail

According to court documents, prosecutors requested bond be set at $250,000 but Judge Ken Williams set Smith’s bond at $50,000, which Smith posted Friday.


He was released from jail but is sought by police again after they were unable to find him at his house Saturday night, which puts him in violation of his conditions of release. McFall said police have probable cause to arrest Smith on investigation of possession of stolen property and possession of methamphetamine.


Smith remains at large and is actively sought by Olympic Peninsula law enforcement agencies, McFall said.


Persons with knowledge of his whereabouts can call the Port Angeles Police Department at 452-4545. Persons wishing to remain anonymous can call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). The program can pay a reward of up to $1,000 for information that leads to any arrest with the filing of felony charges.



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 20
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates