News

Pair of house fires ignite

 -
— image credit:
by AMANDA WINTERS
Sequim Gazette

Firefighters with Clallam County Fire District 3 were busy April 20 with two house fires in Sequim.

 

The first fire, called in just after 4 p.m., started in an attic area above a garage in the 2200 block of West Sequim Bay Road.

 

Public Information Officer Peter Loeb said 19 firefighters were involved in the effort to extinguish the fire, which took about 45 minutes.

 

Three fire engines, one water tender and two medic units were called to the scene.

 

Ventilation holes were cut at the gabled roof’s high point, a tactic to direct the fire upward and inhibit its ability to spread sideways, he said.

 

No one was injured in the fire, he said.

 

The second blaze was reported at 9:38 p.m. by the home owner, Eugene Fiddler. Loeb said the first firefighters on the scene in the 600 block of Williamson Road found the roof of the two-story home fully engulfed in flames that were spreading quickly.

 

For nearly two hours 29 firefighters worked to extinguish the fire, which destroyed the garage, master bedroom and other areas of the home, Loeb said.

 

The owners were treated for smoke inhalation but were otherwise unharmed and were able to arrange overnight accommodations through the Red Cross, he said.

 

“Pending further evaluation, the fire appears to have started in the area of the wood stove chimney in the attic space, involving the attic and eventually spreading downward and outward,” Loeb said.

 

A steady 10-12 mph westerly breeze helped fan the flames, increasing the fire’s severity, he said.

 

Fire District 3 Assistant Chief Roger Moeder, who commanded the incident initially overseen by Capt. Dennis Kettel, said the blaze caused substantial damage to the home.

 

“While the fire was being extinguished, which took over an hour and a half, teams were also working at protecting belongings of the Fiddlers in the house,” Moeder said.

 

The Clallam County Public Utility District, Clallam County Sheriff’s deputies and Olympic Ambulance teamed with the fire district during the incident. More than 18,000 gallons of water were used to extinguish the fire. Water was shuttled to the residence by District 3 tenders and fire engines from more than a mile from the residence, which was the nearest fire hydrant.

 

Fire crews remained overnight at the incident to prevent rekindling and continue salvage operations. No other residences or structures were involved in the fire.

 

Reach Amanda Winters at awinters@sequimgazette.com.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 30 edition online now. Browse the archives.