Fire crews battle four blazes


Sequim Gazette


Clallam County Fire District 3 crews had a busy week, providing aid to a major structure fire in Port Angeles and battling three other blazes in Sequim.


District 3 crews responded to an electrical fire at Sequim Animal Hospital, 202 N. Seventh Ave., at 2:40 a.m. July 5.


Peter Loeb, public information officer, said there appeared to be wiring in the ceiling that burned out. Fire crews extinguished the small fire quickly and used tarps to minimize property damage.


Hospital staff said the smoke stayed out of the main building and went through the roof with minimal damage. No animals were harmed.


Shortly after that, around 3:20 a.m., fire crews were called to the New Peking restaurant in Port Angeles, where they spent four hours trying to extinguish flames restaurant workers said started on the roof.


Crews from Clallam County Fire District 3 and the Port Angeles Fire Department provided aid to Clallam County Fire District 2, which led the attack. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.


Traffic crawled in both directions on U.S. Highway 101 in Port Angeles following a full road closure near Baker Street.


According to the Washington State Department of Transportation, both directions of the highway were blocked for several hours. Traffic was detoured to local roads.


The building continued smoldering for several hours after the flames were extinguished.


A garage fire was reported shortly before 6 a.m. July 7 at 11 Sundial Loop in Sequim. District 3 units were dispatched and the fire was reported as knocked down at 6:18 a.m. No injuries were reported.


Later that day, at 6:15 p.m., Clallam County Fire District 3 fire crews were dispatched to a structure fire in a mobile home, located at 80 Spencer Road. The fire was reported by fire district maintenance personnel who saw smoke coming from the building. Upon arrival, the Engine 33 fire crew found heavy smoke in the structure and began an interior fire attack.


Lt. Bob Rhoads, public information officer, said flames were suppressed quickly and the fire was extinguished using 140 gallons of water with Class A foam. The fire was limited to the kitchen area and the occupants were not at home at the time of the fire, he said. The cause and origin of the fire are under investigation.


Fire crews were called to the Sequim Animal Hospital again at 7:34 a.m. July 11 after an overheated ballast in a flood light began to smoke.


Animals and staff were evacuated from the building until the source of the smoke was determined, Loeb said. No animals or people were harmed and firefighters left the scene within an hour.


Reach Amanda Winters at



We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates