- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
District 3 firefighters respond to smoke-filled home Monday
Food left cooking on a stove was the origin of a smoky scare Monday afternoon.
Clallam County District 3 firefighters responded to a call about a smoke-filled home at about 3:50 p.m. Monday.
A family in the 100 block of Big Sky Lane received a call from their neighbor asking them to check on a home because the occupant believed that they had left food cooking on the stove top. When the neighbor arrived at the home; smoke alarms could be heard sounding and a light smoke could be seen in the home.
Clallam County Fire District 3 personnel arrived on scene to find smoke exiting the home. Firefighters made entry into the home and found that burnt food was causing the smoke.
No fire was found and damage to the home was contained to the pot on the stove.
The occupants would be able to stay in the home. Two engines and two ambulances were on scene with a total of 14 personnel. No injuries were reported.
According to a report from the National Fire Protection Association, “In 2010, cooking was involved in an estimated 156,400 home structure fires that were reported to U.S. fire departments.
These fires caused 410 deaths, 5,310 injuries and $993 million in direct property damage. Cooking caused 44% of reported home fires, 16% of home fire deaths, 40% of home fire injuries, and 15% of the direct property damage in 2010.
Fire District 3 encourages all home cooks to shut off TVs, computers, cell phones and other distractions while cooking.