- About Us
Veterans Day weekend events scheduled for Sequim, Port Angeles
• Marine Corps Ball: The Mount Olympus Detachment of the Marine Corps League invites veterans of all services and their families to the Marine Corps Ball on Saturday, Nov. 10, at the Sequim Elks Lodge, 143 Port Williams Road, Sequim.
Guest speaker is Michael G. Reagan from the Fallen Heroes Project. Social hour at 5 p.m. with dinner and ceremony at 5:45 p.m. To reserve, call 582-0271 or visit www.mtolympusmcl.com.
Sunday, Nov. 11:
• Breakfast: The Sequim VFW Ladies Auxiliary holds a benefit breakfast and poppy drive from 9:30 a.m.-noon, Sunday, Nov. 11, at the VFW Post, 169 E. Washington St. Cost is $5 and proceeds go to assist veterans. Call 683-9546.
• Coast Guard Air Station/Sector Field Office Port Angeles hosts its annual Veterans Day ceremony at 10:30 a.m. The Clallam County Veterans Association sponsors the event. The public can enter the Coast Guard Station from the front gate at the end of Ediz Hook in Port Angeles starting at 9:30 a.m. Have photo identification available at the entry checkpoint.
The CCVA invites all attendees to a reception/barbecue immediately following the ceremony, at the Clallam County Veterans Center, 216 S. Francis St. Call 417-2383.
Monday, Nov. 12
• All-day gathering: La Vina Cafe honors veterans from 7 a.m.-4 p.m. at 111 River Road, Sequim. At noon, weather permitting, there will be free tethered hot-air balloon rides for veterans. Call 460-7083.
• Reading: In honor of veterans, West Coast Writers presents Port Townsend novelist and Vietnam veteran Elizabeth Anne Scarborough as November’s featured writer, at 7 p.m. at Wine on the Waterfront, 115 Railroad Ave., Port Angeles.
Scarborough reads from “The Healer’s War,” the Nebula-Award-winning novel based loosely on her experiences as an Army nurse.