News

Sequim church damaged in Christmas day fire

 -
— image credit:
Sequim Gazette staff

At about 5:40 p.m. on Christmas day, Dec. 25, personnel from Clallam County Fire District 3 quelled a small fire that singed the steeple of the First Baptist Church of Sequim on the 1300 block of Sequim-Dungeness Way.

 

The fire originally was reported as a chimney fire.

 

The church was not occupied at the time, fire district officials said.

 

A quick search of the church revealed that the fire was contained to the steeple, they noted. Power was disconnected and the fire was extinguished.

 

For safety reasons, a decision was made to remove the top portion of the steeple, fire district officials said. Patrick Young, Public Information Officer for District 3, said the fire likely was caused by the wiring leading to a light socket in the steeple.  


“That was the only source of fire up there,” he said.

 

No injuries were reported and the operations of the church should not be affected, fire district sources said.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 22 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates