- About Us
Free TAX-AIDE service begins in February
Beginning Feb. 1, IRS-certified AARP TAX-AIDE volunteers are available again to prepare and electronically file tax returns at several sites in the Sequim area. The service is free of charge and runs through the tax season in April.
TAX-AIDE is sponsored by the IRS and the AARP Foundation, but the service is available to low- and middle-income taxpayers of all ages.
An appointment is required at most sites.
TAX-AIDE volunteers are authorized to prepare most basic tax returns, making sure that the taxpayer receives all the eligible deductions and credits. They do not prepare returns for taxpayers who have income from rental properties or for taxpayers with complicated business returns.
What to bring to TAX-AIDE sites:
• Photo I.D.
• Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse and all dependents
• W-2 from each employer
• All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, SSA-1099, 1099-G, etc.) — these include interest, dividend, stock sale, cancellation of debt, retirement, self-employment, Social Security and unemployment compensation.
• Copy of 2011 tax return
• Bank account routing and account numbers (from a check), if direct deposit of the refund is desired.
• Any other documents necessary to complete your return. For example, cost of stock sold, tuition statements and receipts necessary to itemize deductions, if applicable.
TAX-AIDE SITES in the Sequim area:
• Sequim Senior Activity Center, 921 E. Hammond St. By appointment, 12:30-4 p.m. Wednesdays; 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays. 683-6806.
• Port Angeles Library,2210 S. Peabody St. No appointment required: first come, first served. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesdays (except Feb. 6); 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Saturdays.
• Port Angeles Senior Center, 328 E. Seventh St. By appointment. 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Mondays. 457-7004.