News

Updated: Fire takes one storage unit

 -
— image credit:

A combustible too close to a space heater caused one unit to go up in flames Wednesday, March 6, at the Sequim Stow Places mini-storage.

 

Clallam County Fire District 3 reported to signs of smoke at 4:54 p.m. at 741 N. Sequim Ave., where they saw dark smoke coming from the roof of one building. Firefighters used a rotary saw to open the door and a chainsaw to cut a hole in the roof to remove heat and smoke. The fire was extinguished at 5:15 p.m.

Items inside the unit sustained heavy damage and neighboring units received minor water and smoke damage. Firefighters removed items in those units as a precaution.

 

The owner of the unit's items is reported to be overseas and it is not known if the items were insured.

Firefighters were able to salvage many items in the unit including a piano.

 

Damage estimates to the items and building are not yet known. The storage facility is insured.

No injuries were reported.
 

Watch video on Facebook.

 

Sequim Gazette photos by Jay Cline

 

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 9 edition online now. Browse the archives.