- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
At around two p.m. April 17, the last pieces of the “mystery dock” were removed from the Port Williams beach and disposed of.
“It didn’t even change zip codes,” said Dave Falzetti, a wildlife officer with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife service.
Despite initial fears that the dock was more debris from the Tohoku tsunami of 2011, it was later established to have come from Sequim Bay.
The USFWS managed to remove the dock in several hours, using chainsaws to cut up the soft wood and a dump truck from the Quilcene National Hatchery. According to Falzetti, the dock was donated by a residents living on Sequim Bay and had broken loose after a series of high winds last week. Falzetti says that the agency knew the dock had broken loose and had been trying to recover it before it was lost in the fog several days ago.
“We knew it was ours, and wanted to get it out of there as quick as possible before it caused too much disturbance.”