- About Us
Elections 2013: Sequim School Board
Editor's note: due to the unique situation of one candidate withdrawing, we asked both candidates for a personal statement than answering questions.
Beverly Horan, incumbent
"I believe that education is the foundation for a good life. Our Sequim schools work to provide this opportunity by being strongly student-focused, by providing professional learning time for our staff, by having tremendous support from our community. I wish to continue my service as a school board member so that education in Sequim will continue to grow in exploring what the 21st century learner will look like and need. Thank you for the opportunity to serve."
John Clark Yeo
For personal reasons I withdrew from the Sequim School Board "at large" position race in June, yet by a state law passed last year, I still will be on the ballot. I retired to Sequim after 10 years as a longterm and daily substitute teacher with Los Angeles Unified School District. Currently I keep busy doing maintenance while my wife, a real estate managing broker, serves as property manager for our rental property in Port Angeles. So, instead of voting for me, do what I have been doing in my eight years on the peninsula, volunteer and serve. Here are ways I have helped the community:
• for Olympic Theatre Arts, I served on the board for 4.5 years, fundraising, marketing and performing;
• for Sequim Senior Activity Center, now known as the Shipley Center, I was on the board for threeFestival years and chaired the Annual Benefit Sale;
• for "Protect the Peninsula's Future" I was alternate board member for two years;
• for Sequim Community Foundation, now known as the Olympic View Community Foundation, I have been on the board for three years;
• for Port Angeles Community Playhouse, I have participated for five years as an usher, performer and chairman of Audience Development Committee;
• and I sang with the Methodist church choir for three years and participated in the production of "Boar's Head Festival" at St. Luke's for three years.
Recommendation: Go get yourself positively involved as a volunteer in this very fine community!
Director No. 2
Michael Howe, unopposed