Wall fan sparks fire at recreation center

Members of Fire District 3’s “B-Shift” survey the minor damage caused by a fan fire on Monday afternoon.  - Submitted photo
Members of Fire District 3’s “B-Shift” survey the minor damage caused by a fan fire on Monday afternoon.
— image credit: Submitted photo

A malfunctioning wall fan in the pool area at the Sequim Aquatic Recreation Center caused a stir and a fire but accounted for no injuries Monday afternoon.

Personnel from Clallam County Fire District 3 responded to the facility at about 2:45 p.m. to a report of a fire in the pool area, and first-arriving units discovered a wall fan used to circulate air in the pool area had malfunctioned and had caught fire. SARC staff members used a fire extinguisher to put out the small fire that scorched a small section of a wall near the center’s water slide.

Firefighters examined the wall and the electrical outlet and determined that it was safe to allow guests to reenter the building; the evacuation lasted less than 15 minutes, according to fire district officials.

The fan was destroyed and damage to the building was cosmetic.

Fire district officials urge residents and business owners to have a fire extinguisher in an easy-to-access location and that each member of the home or business know how and when to use a fire extinguisher.



Latest news, top stories, and community events,
delivered to your inbox.

Trending Stories May 15 - May 22

  • Sequim Gazette

  • Western Washington

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the May 20
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates