- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Olson pleads not guilty, trial set for November, ‘fake’ kidnappers see trial this Thursday
Nathaniel Darren Olson, 27, of Sequim pled not guilty on June 6 in the alleged shooting of Matthew Baker, 25, of Port Angeles.
Olson appeared in Clallam County Superior Court facing second-degree murder with an aggravated circumstance charge after allegedly shooting Baker at a birthday party on May 22 in a Port Angeles home on Monroe Road. His trial is set for Nov. 17.
Olson is out of Clallam County Jail after posting his reduced $75,000 bail on June 10, which was reduced on June 6 from $500,000 by Clallam County Superior Court Judge George Wood on condition he submit all of his firearms to law enforcement, stick to strict curfews, wear an alcohol monitoring bracelet and not be allowed to enter liquor stores.
Baker was found dead from an apparent gunshot wound to the chest, Clallam County Sheriff’s deputies report, and that he was alone in the living room with Olson, a Sequim High School 2005 graduate, when witnesses in the dining room area heard a single “pop.”
Deputies determined alcohol was present at the party and they believe Olson was drinking.
Witnesses told law enforcement Olson was showing a gun earlier in the evening to other guests which he likely used to kill Baker, sheriff officials report.
Ron Cameron, chief criminal deputy for the Sheriff’s Office, said witnesses claim they heard no arguing or discussion between Olson or Baker immediately prior to the shot being fired.
Cameron said Detective Brian Knutson interviewed Jason Holden who asked Olson what happened and he said, “I shot him.” Later, Terra Smithson, Baker’s girlfriend, told deputies she asked Olson the same thing to which he replied “He came at me,” Cameron said.
Both Baker and Olson were attendees of the party for twins Jason and Jeremy Holden of Tacoma, with Jason who is allegedly involved in the April 12 fake kidnapping of a child at Carrie Blake Park.
Fake kidnappers arraigned
Three people allegedly involved in the April 12 fake kidnapping in Carrie Blake Park make their plea 1 p.m. Thursday, June 12, in Clallam County Court District 1.
Cousins Jason Holden, 25, and Jesse Holden, 25, and relative Shellie Baskins, 34, could face a gross misdemeanor of up to 364 days in jail or a $5,000 fine with charges of disorderly persons by creating a disturbance in the park.
They filmed a video that later appeared on YouTube allegedly to create awareness about kidnapping. The video went viral and eventually on national news outlets.
Sgt. Sean Madison of the Sequim Police Department reports Baskins was at the park with her 4-year-old son and asked two women to watch him while she went to the bathroom, Madison said in the report, and that Jason Holden, wearing a mask, drove in a minivan and took the boy while Jesse Holden, also wearing a mask, drove away.
Madison said police interviewed several witnesses who either tried to stop the fake kidnapping, heard screaming and/or were distraught by the experience.
The Holdens returned to the park with the boy and told officers that they were making an educational video. Since the video’s release, the Holdens have appeared on television saying their intention was to raise awareness and not to perform a prank.
On their web channel, which features prank videos, they apologized, saying they weren’t expecting such an intense reaction from Sequim residents.