• The American Legion and the Marine Corps League will be in front of the Sequim Wal-Mart from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Dec. 12-13 and Dec. 19-20 collecting Toys For Tots. These go only to Clallam County children. Please stop by and donate a new toy.
• The American Legion is having a dinner to raise funds to bring the Clan Gordon Pipe Band to march in the Irrigation Festival parade with the veterans groups. The dinner will be Saturday, Jan. 24, at the post on the corner of East Prairie Street and South
Sequim Avenue There will be a piper, poems from Robert Burns, red roses for the ladies, Scottish-themed door prizes and delicious food. The tickets are $25. Please call me for information and tickets. Wear plaid!
• VFW Post 4760 Ladies Auxiliary has an on-going sale of used books and jigsaw puzzles in the annex next to the building entrance on East Washington Street. Proceeds go to Operation Uplink to purchase calling cards for overseas military personnel.
• If you like bingo, check out the game at 10:30 a.m. Mondays in the VFW Annex. All are welcome. Minimum prize is $5 and maximum jackpot is up to $1,000. The proceeds fund scholarships for Sequim High School seniors as well as supporting a variety of veterans/military programs.
• Veterans and active-duty military not in uniform now can render the military-style hand salute during the playing of the national anthem. This improves on the law that was passed last year that allowed veterans to salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag.
• Working at the gift store to help the almost 300 veterans at the Washington State Veterans Home in Retsil pick out Christmas gifts for their families was a very rewarding experience. Each resident was allowed to choose up to seven gifts for related family members. We assisted them in picking out the gifts, wrapping in gift paper and then wrapping for mailing. For those who donated gift items, thank you! This is a project we can work on all year - pick up small appliances on sale, a bath set, a towel set, a DVD, etc., so we have nice things for them to give next year.
• Last, but not least, I want to thank all of you for reading my column and for contributing what you can to help veterans - remember, sometimes all that is needed is a kind word and a thank you for serving! Please remember all our service people in your prayers during the holidays. We are blessed to be home with our families while they are out there protecting us and our way of life.
Merry Christmas and a happy new year!
Contributors: DAR, Regent Kayellen Garrison, email@example.com; American Legion, Lorri Gilchrist,
firstname.lastname@example.org; VFW Commander Roger Padie, email@example.com; MOAA, President Jim McEntire, firstname.lastname@example.org, Marine Corps League, Jake Fish, email@example.com.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.