The editor and staff of Tidepools 2009, Peninsula College's art and literary magazine, have announced the winners of the 2009 contest. This year's judges selected from more than 300 writing entries and 150 art entries.
The magazine features the fine art, photography, poetry and short prose of Olympic Peninsula residents. It is produced by the students of Peninsula College.
This year, Tidepools added two new contest categories: Adult Fine Art and Peninsula College Student Fine Art. The winners in each of the 12 categories are:
• Adult Prose: "Cell Absorbed," Deborah Daline, Port Townsend; "Bread Therapy," Teresa Mason, Quilcene; and "Organic Beef," Linda Wentz, Port Angeles.
• Adult Poetry: "My First Winter Solstice in a Town," Emily Mendelbaum, Port Townsend; "Billions of Light Years," Kathy Anita Gonzales, Port Angeles; and "Pre_Dawn Winter Blue," Patrick Loafman, Port Angeles.
• Adult Fine Art: "Julianne," print, Christianna Shaw, Port Angeles; "Going with the Flow," painting, Joan Cole, Port Townsend; "Up Close," painting, Jeremy Mason, Port Angeles.
• Adult Photography: "Deliberation in Movement," Jayne Johnson, Carlsborg; "Guile," Ken Dry, Port Angeles; and "Ice Feathers," Deb Hilt, Forks.
• Peninsula College Student Fine Art: "Self_Portrait," painting, Christianna Shaw, Port Angeles; "Grapes," painting, Caitlin Adams, Port Angeles; "The Magic of Life," painting, Jeremy Mason, Port Angeles.
• Peninsula College Student Photography: "Insulators," Lynn Edgington, Quilcene; "Double Doors," Lynn Edgington, Quilcene; and "Moon, Sea, Stars," Valerie Proctor,
• Peninsula College Student Writing: "How I Became an Environmentalist," Thena Westfall, Port Angeles; "The Importance of Font," Thena Westfall, Port Angeles; and "Semblance," Todd Capetta, Sequim.
• Youth Writing age 6_9: "Whispers," Lauren Rankin, Port Angeles.
• Youth Writing age 10_13: "Summer's Coat," Alex McMenamin, Sequim.
• Youth Writing age 14_17: "Shigoto," Emma Clithero_Michaels, Port Townsend.
• Youth Art & Photography age 6_9: "Sunset," multimedia, William Harris.
• Youth Art & Photography age 10_13: "Staying Dry," photograph, Jesse Hilt, Forks.
For the adult categories, prizes are $100 for first place, $50 for second place and $25 for third place. Youth winners each receive $25.
The judges were Peggy de Broux, Thena Westfall and Deborah Keating_Hansen for Adult Poetry; Jerry Kraft, Patrick Loafman and Mary_Alice Boulter for Adult Prose; Michael Paul Miller, Linda Larsen and Michael Mills for Adult Fine Art and Adult Photography; Carmen Germain, Pamela Hastings and Erin_Kate Murphy for Peninsula College Student Writing; Reina Barreto, Sean Gomez and Barbara Slavik for Peninsula College Student Fine Art and Peninsula College Student Photography; Becky Kuhns, Dianne Carriveau and Sandra Smith for Youth Writing; and Diana Somerville, Pamela Miller and Jeremy Mason for Youth Art & Photography.
For more information on Tidepools, contact Janet Lucas at 417-6361.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.