A 13,000-square-foot house off Lost Mountain Road was a total loss after a car fire spread to the building early Sunday morning.
Crews from Clallam County Fire Districts 2 and 3 fought the blaze from around 5:30 a.m.-6 p.m. and some returned to the site Monday morning for further investigation, District 3 Lt. Bob Rhoads said.
Rhoads said a car fire in the carport, possibly caused by faulty wiring, caused the home of Carole Hauskins to catch on fire.
Hauskins was the only occupant of the house and escaped without injury, he said.
The home was on Graywolf Ridge Road in a gated community.
The first engine on the scene, from the Carlsborg station, reported the building was 25-percent involved in the fire. It was joined by three engines, a medic unit, ladder truck, two assistant chiefs and two water tenders. A rescue unit from Clallam County Fire District 3, two water tenders from Clallam County Fire District 2 and an electrical crew from P.U.D. to disconnect electrical power also responded to the scene, Rhoads said.
When enough personnel were on the scene, a hole was cut in the roof for vertical ventilation and fire control, he said.
Despite their best efforts, the house was a total loss and the only thing saved was a garage, he said.
The house was built in 1999 by Carole Hauskins and her late husband William Hauskins.
Amanda Winters can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.