Many Olympic National Park roads, from Staircase to Quinault, will undergo repairs in the coming weeks and months.
A major road construction contract, totaling close to $2 million, was issued to Erick Ammon, Inc., of Silverdale and Anderson, Calif. Port Angeles-based Bruch and Bruch Construction, Inc., and Northwest Rock, Inc., of Hoquiam are subcontractors on the contract.
"We are very pleased to have these many important projects under way and are pleased to see peninsula-based contractors involved," said Olympic National Park Superintendent Karen Gustin. "We also recognize the inconvenience this work may represent to some of our October visitors and we ask the public for their understanding and patience."
• Elwha Valley - Olympic Hot Springs Road above Altair Campground is closed through Friday, Oct. 22. Construction crews will repair damage from a slide last winter near the Glines Canyon Dam powerhouse.
Construction of a bypass lane at the Elwha Entrance Station begins in late October; no closures or delays are expected.
Sediment management work on the Lake Mills delta has been completed and the Upper Lake Mills Trail, accessed from Whiskey Bend Road, has reopened.
Lake Mills is inaccessible to boaters. Park staff will monitor lake and debris levels and will reopen the lake when it is safe to do so, once the Olympic Hot Springs Road repairs are completed.
The West Lake Mills Trail reopens Oct. 23.
• Deer Park - The narrow gravel road will close for the season as scheduled on Monday, Oct. 18.
• Hurricane Ridge - The road will remain open but short delays are possible as repairs are made.
• Staircase - Maintenance on the entrance and campground roads takes place the first two weeks of October; short delays are possible. The campground remains open. The entrance road and the campground will be open throughout the winter season, with pit toilets, no running water.
• North Shore Quinault Road - Maintenance continues through the first three weeks of October; short delays are possible.
For more information, visit www.nps.gov/olym or call the Olympic National Park Visitor Center at 360-565-3130.
The Sequim Gazette is located at 147 W. Washington Street in Sequim.
Business hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Phone 360-683-3311, or toll free at 800-829-5810. FAX 360-683-6670.
For a complete company directory with contact information please click HERE.