A chicken coop caught fire Tuesday night, Jan. 9, west of Sequim likely caused by a faulty warming light, Clallam County Fire District 3 officials said.
A passer-by reported 20-foot flames at 51 Misty Glen Lane near Robin Hill Farm County Park at 8:40 p.m. Firefighters responded to the scene at 8:49 p.m.
Fire District 3 Lt. Chad Cate said firefighters isolated the fire to the chicken coop, which was far enough from the home to contain before spreading.
He said the homeowners were not inside the residence and that the fire is still under investigation, but noted a warming light may have started the fire.
Chickens in the coop were lost, Cate said, but the total number is unknown.
One fire engine and one fire tender responded to the scene. A mutual aid request to Clallam County Fire District 2 was called off, Cate said.