Construction continues on a radio-cell tower on Brigadoon Boulevard in Dungeness that is anticipated to be upright by November. Wireless companies plan to begin increasing their coverage area through it as soon as December, developers say. Sequim Gazette photo by Matthew Nash

Dungeness cell tower to go up in November

A radio-cell tower in Dungeness that area residents fought against in recent months will be upright and operational by November, developers said last week.

The foundation for the tower is in and electricity has been installed atop Brigadoon Boulevard in the housing community Dungeness Heights, project consultant Bryon Gunnerson said.

Gunnerson anticipates the estimated $500,000 tower being vertical in early November and guised as a fir tree in early December.

Gunnerson said the tower will help customers of wireless companies, such as Verizon, have better in-home penetration for at least 3 miles, increase radio frequency for Clallam County Fire District 3, and it will create a new FM station.

The 150-foot tower, or wireless communication facility, at 766 Brigadoon Blvd., will go up 150 feet disguised as a Douglas fir tree with composite plastic and fiberglass branches. Originally the tower was to be 100 feet tall at Clallam County’s set maximum, but developers applied for a conditional use permit and variance to raise it to 150 feet so long as the tower was disguised.

Hearing Examiner William Payne approved the decision in March 2016 and later Clallam County Superior Court Judge Erik Rohrer ruled against a land petition by the Dungeness Heights Homeowners LLC., or DHH, earlier this year.

This allowed cell tower owner Radio Pacific Inc. owned by Brown Maloney and Todd Ortloff to build the tower.

Homeowners protested multiple issues for the tower including it would cut into property values, emit dangerous radiation, be too close to nearby neighbors, and that it would go much higher than specified of nearby trees.

However, the Peninsula Daily News reported that Rohrer said DHH couldn’t prove the tower would hurt property values, and that the tower wouldn’t denounce the county’s code of protecting natural views and local aesthetics.

Rohrer didn’t address health concerns from the tower because they were pre-empted under federal law.

Gerald Steel, an Olympia lawyer representing DHH, said on Oct. 5 that the homeowners have two lawsuits in the Court of Appeals consolidated into one hearing with one challenging the conditional use permit and variance for the tower and the other challenging its building permit.

Steel said a court date hasn’t been set for the appeals, but he anticipates a decision sometime in 2018.

If the homeowners do win in the Court of Appeals, he said they’d ask Radio Pacific Inc. to remove the tower.

Tower specifics

Ortloff, general manager for KONP-AM and KSTI-FM in Port Angeles, said they are still working on plans for the FM station (104.9) in Sequim and “haven’t established a timeline yet or made any decisions regarding programming.”

He said Verizon is the first wireless carrier to announce plans to install additional communications equipment on the tower to increase coverage, but he’s not sure when other carriers plan to join, if at all.

As Gunnerson said, he anticipates Verizon customers to have better in-home penetration of wireless service within about 3 miles of the site, which “fills most of the dead holes that aren’t being covered by other sites.”

Clallam County Fire District 3 plans to increase its radio coverage on the tower with a $100-a-year lease agreement. Fire commissioners approved the agreement on Oct. 3, and about $16,000 for a receiver and construction.

Assistant Chief Tony Hudson said the tower will help increase radio frequency in Dungeness and to Sequim.

He said the closest tower they have is at the district’s Station 34 on Fifth Avenue and firefighters have choppy and sometimes broken calls via radio when calling to or in Dungeness.

Hudson said their receiver being installed depends on construction but it’s potentially the beginning of 2018.

Despite construction going forward on a cell-tower at the top of the Dungeness Heights housing community, the Dungeness Heights Homeowners LLC., continues to fight the tower in the Court of Appeals. The group’s lawyer said he anticipates a decision on the appeals sometime in 2018. Sequim Gazette photo by Matthew Nash

More in News

Sequim’s Star Wars Connection: Episode II — more details emerge about local ties to the space opera

Wookies. Tauntans. Ugnaughts. Since the 1970s, this mix of creatures has made… Continue reading

The Duttas’ adoption journey

Chelsea and Amith Dutta want to start their young family with an… Continue reading

Community feels impact of bridge closure

‘Tis the season for construction west of Sequim. Last December, Carlsborg was… Continue reading

Fire District 3 unit struck, minor injuries reported

Charges are pending against a Port Angeles woman who allegedly struck a… Continue reading

Heart for the homeless: Sequim youth continues grassroots donation drive

This winter, a Sequim girl is once again seeing to it that… Continue reading

City councilors rename convention center ‘Guy Cole Events Center’

What’s in a name? Quite a bit for Sequim city councilors, in… Continue reading

Remembering Our Fallen: Tribute Towers in Port Angeles show faces of sacrifice

Every face tells a story. Nearly 5,000 stories were being told last… Continue reading

Police Blotter — Dec. 13, 2017

The weekly police blotter includes incidents that occurred in the City of… Continue reading

Gardiner holiday party to help NW Raptor Center

Wild Birds Unlimited is hosting a fundraising holiday party on Sunday, Dec.… Continue reading

Most Read