Wolves, Redskins play to 1-1 tie

For 79 minutes, Sequim's girls soccer crew had Port Townsend's number. Then the illness and injury bugs finally kicked in.

Sequim's Sunma Agostine scored on a penalty kick to break up a scoreless tie, but the visiting Redskins got the equalizer seconds into injury time and neither team could break the 1-1 deadlock in overtime, keeping both squads from their first Olympic League win Sept. 25.

"It's been happening to us: I think with the numbers we have and the illness and injury, we're dead by that 80th minute," Sequim coach Enid Halewyn said. "Was I frustrated? Yes. It's another sign of that fatigue factor by end of the game."

With Angela Richards (knee), Allison Bradley (ill) and Chase O'Neil (ill) all out for last week's game, plus Ashley Peterson playing gingerly coming off a knee injury, Sequim was shorthanded at the starting whistle. It looked as though the Wolves (0-3-2 in league) might snap their cold streak when Agostine converted a Redskin handball into her third goal of the season, but Port Townsend found the net at 80 minutes.

Halewyn wasn't sure if her team should take the tie or agree to an overtime period, but the team asked for it. Neither team scored in the two five-minute periods.

"I really didn't think it was worth playing 10 more minutes at that intensity," Halewyn said.

The Wolves were scheduled to take on North Kitsap (2-1 in league, 4-1-1 overall) Sept. 30 - results were unavailable at press time. The Wolves host Bremerton Oct. 7 and travel to Port Angeles two days later.

Halewyn said her goal for the team is to get them healthy.

"It's still pretty amazing - they stay really positive," Hale-

wyn said of her team.

Kingston's Meghan Antoni scored her fourth and fifth goals of the season, helping the Buccaneers post the school's first shutout and send Sequim to a four-game winless streak on Sept. 23.

Last year, the Wolves topped the host Kingston squad in a 2-1 thriller, thanks to a late O'Neil score. This time around, the Wolves and Bucs battled to a 0-0 first-half tie before Kingston got goals at 52, 72 and 79 minutes.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the Oct 26
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates