Sequim’s Kathrin Sumpter and son Sam Manders, a Sequim High graduate now living in Kirkland, helped their Team USA squad earn 26 medals in various divisions at the Cacoy Cañete Doce Pares World Invitational Tournament & Gathering in Cebu City, Philippines, in mid-August.
Sumpter, a Doce Pares (Filipino martial art) fourth-degree black belt, earned six medals overall in the women’s senior division.
In forms she took home a gold in single stick, a silver in double weapon and silver in sword. In fighting divisions, she earned silver medals in single and double stick, and a bronze in Kulata (padded sticks).
“It was quite a learning experience (about) my art, myself,” Sumpter said, “and what it’s like to travel and train with a team.”
The women’s senior division was the smallest at the three-and-a-half day tourney, Sumpter noted, with just three competitors, be she said she was proud of her medals and performance — particularly in competition with Australian eighth-degree black belt Andrea Wheatley.
“I got schooled but I held my own,” Sympter said.
Manders earned a bronze in double stick fighting in the men’s 18-39 division, a grouping that Sumpter said had about 30 competitors.
“It was so incredibly hot (at the tourney); I had to think about water not just every day but throughout the day,” she said.
Coached by Anthony Kleeman of Los Angeles, Calif., Team USA earned seven gold medals, 10 silvers and nine bronze.
“The whole team did really well,” Sumpter said.
Other Team USA results
• Team captain Dan Haney (Hillsboro, Ore.), men’s 40-49 — Forms: gold, single stick; bronze, sword. Fighting: gold, single stick
• Erik Bjorge (Hillsboro, Ore.), men’s 40-49 — Forms: silver, single stick. Fighting: gold, single stick; silver, double stick; silver, team fighting
• Russell Corrales (Hillsboro, Ore.), men’s 18-39 — Forms: bronze, double weapon. Fighting: bronze, single stick
• Alex Hernandez (Hillsboro, Ore.), men’s 18-39 — Fighting: gold, single stick; bronze, double stick
• Curt Jablin (Scottsdale, Ariz.), men’s senior — Fighting: gold, double stick; silver, team fighting; bronze, single stick
• Len Lee (Los Angeles, Calif.), men’s senior — Fighting: gold, single stick; silver, team fighting; bronze, double stick; bronze, Kulata
• Nick Wong (Los Angeles, Calif.), men’s 18-39 — Fighting: silver, Kulata
Sumper is owner/instructor of Sequim Martial Arts and the newly-designated Cacoy Cañete Doce Pares-Sequim Club. For more about the club, call Sumpter at 360-775-0542.