Firefighters helped prevent a chimney fire from spreading in a Sequim log home on last Tuesday night.
Dan Orr, Clallam County Fire District 3 Assistant Fire Chief, said crews arrived at 5:01 p.m. Feb. 12 to Northwest Log Homes at 1865 W. Washington St. to what he called a “hard fire to combat.”
Orr said because of the structure’s steep roof firefighters opted to fight the fire from within the home, but that was difficult as well because its ceiling was 25 feet tall.
“It was labor intensive,” Orr said, as firefighters had to remove portions of the ceiling from within to access the fire.
Fire officials theorize the fire started on accident from a piece of wood near the chimney and roof that caught fire.
Orr said the structure was saved and the fire and smoke was contained to the room of origin.
Four residents were uninjured, he said; the husband and wife spent last Tuesday night in a fifth-wheel and their daughter and her significant other stayed in a hotel room, Orr noted.
The scene was cleared at 7:16 p.m.
Clallam County Fire District 3 brought two fire engines, two water tenders and two ambulances to the scene. Fire officials called for assistance for Clallam County Fire District 2, who brought one water tender from Port Angeles, but it was unused.
Clallam PUD, Olympic Ambulance and multiple volunteer district 3 firefighters responded, too.