Sequim Costco employees rushed to help save a woman’s life on Saturday morning.
Assistant Fire Chief Dan Orr with Clallam County Fire District 3 reported the district received a 9-1-1 call at 9:33 a.m. on Aug. 1 for a 55-year-old woman fainting in front of the store at 955 W. Washington St.
Employees assessed the woman and determined she needed CPR, Orr said.
“They not only went to the lady’s aid and started CPR, they also applied the store’s automated external defibrillator, AED, which indicated the need for a shock,” he said.
She was shocked twice and upon firefighters/EMTs/paramedics’ arrival, they discovered her conscious and able to speak, Orr said. She was transported to St. Michael Medical Center, formerly Harrison Medical Center, in Bremerton.
Orr said Costco’s management asked the employees involved to remain unnamed.
He said it’s rare for fire personnel to arrive on scene and have a medical situation under control.
“In these uncertain times, it is refreshing to see people willing to act and make a difference in a stranger’s life,” Orr said. “On behalf of all of the members of Clallam County Fire District 3, we thank you four for your actions.”
A Costco employee who asked to remain anonymous said the store has a well-trained medical team and some former medics on staff who have helped customers before including stopping a woman from choking on a hot dog.
Orr said it also helped that the company had an AED.
“The fact that it worked is a great thing,” he said. “All the stars aligned and she’s a very lucky lady.”